Our boat is a year 2006 Nordhavn 43, hull number 18. This is an amazing boat, built by the wonderful people at Pacific Asian Enterprises (PAE), also known as Nordhavn. First thing, this is not a sailboat. It is a long range (thousands of miles) powerboat to hold about 2 to 4 people comfortably for long voyages. This class of boat is usually called a “passagemaker,” which means it can handle the world’s great passages, such as crossing the Atlantic or Pacific. More generically it can be called a “trawler.”
Some quick facts:
- 43 feet long (45 including anchor).
- 14 feet 10 inches wide.
- 54,540 pounds at full load of water and fuel (that is very heavy/stout for a boat this size).
- 2 staterooms (boatspeak for bedrooms).
- 2 heads (boatspeak for 2 toilets, 2 showers).
- Luxuries include: 120 volt power, full air conditioning/heat, washer/dryer (combo unit), watermaker (turns seawater into fresh water), trash compactor, 2 refrigerators, and 1 deep freezer.
- About 3000 mile range on one load of diesel fuel.
- ~5 to 7 knot cruising speed (6 knot average, ~2.7 nm/usgal, ~2.1 usgal/hour).
- 1250 gallons of fuel.
- 300 gallons of water.
- 105hp diesel main engine.
- 27hp diesel “wing” engine aka emergency engine
Overall it is like a tiny 2 bedroom, 3 story apartment with all the comforts of a land based home. The living room (in boatspeak called salon) is mid level, the pilothouse is top level, and the staterooms and engine room are the lower level. Here are the generic drawings (select image for larger version):
We have spent time with many of the people at PAE before we signed our contract in June 2004 to build this boat. We can truly say they have an honest passion for their product, and care deeply about their customers. So much so, that we truly believe we can trust our lives to their expertise. For example, our outstanding sales person is Jeff Merrill. There have been many inspirational people for our boat.
Check out the official web site for the Nordhavn 43 to get more drawings, pictures, and information.
While the 43 is a production boat, it has many choices and options. Here are some of the major and cosmetic decisions that may interest you:
- Lugger LP668D Lugger main engine (naturally aspirated, as opposed to turbo).
- Yanmar wing engine and propulsion system.
- White hull with dark red water line stripe and smoke stack stripe.
- Americian Bow Thruster (ABT) TRAC active fin stabilizers.
- Paravane stabilizers.
- Port saloon settee replaced with cabinet and drawers.
- 8kw generator (See 8kw Generator Choice post).
- Surell (solid suface) counter tops.
- Washer/Dryer (combo unit).
- 400 gallon per day AC watermaker (Village Marine Squirt 400).
- 160 gallon per day DC watermaker (Village Marine Stowaway 160).
Here is our list of Purchase Options.
Also we have built-in electronics onboard for navigation, safety, and communication.
- Radar (x2): Furuno 1944C (6kw, 4 foot open array) radar and chartplotter, NavNet2 version. Furuno 1744 (4kw closed array), networked with Furuno Ethernet hub
- Furuno GP32 GPS (x2)
- MaxSea Commander (software for PC)
- Simrad AP26 autopilot system (AC40 computer, RP300 pump) (x2)
- Furuno BBFF1 depth sounder
- Icom 602 VHF/hailer
- Icom 802 SSB
- Pactor Modem (for SSB e-mail and weather fax)
- Seacas 100 AIS Reciever
- Iridium Satellite Phone with Applied Satellite Docking Station
- EPIRB with GPS
- Belkin wireless USB hub to allow wireless sat phone connection and MaxSea dongle connection/sharing
And some additional safety items:
- Winslow Offshore Rescue Maxi-4 (6 person liferaft, includes watermaker and EPRIB)
- Florentino Parachute Anchor (18 feet)
- Galerider Drogue (42×48 inches)
- 400 feet of line nylon deployment rode for Para anchor or drogue
- Fortress 55 anchor (big stern anchor, or secondary anchor to our 88 pound Delta)
- Danforth High Tensile 20lbs (stern anchor) mounted in lazarette
- 50 feet of G4 HT chain attached to 150 5/8 three braided nylon (stern line or secondary anchor rode)
- Water tight floating “ditch bag” loaded with flares, first aid, and misc. survival and safety goodies
Our tenders, tender motors, and kayaks:
- “Kosmopolitan” Gig Harbor Navigator (10 foot sailing/rowing/power hard shell)
- “Achilles Tender” Achilles 10.4 LSI (10.4 foot all inflatable hypalon)
- Honda 2hp 4-stroke
- Nissan 6hp 4-stroke
- Hobi Mirage Sport Kayaks (x2)
- Two 125 watt solar panels
- Solar charge controller (Blue Sky Energy 2000E)
- 50 amp Mastervolt multi-phase, multi-voltage battery charger
- Bauer Jr. Air Compressor (110v) for filling SCUBA tanks (3200 psi)
- 4 brackets for holding SCUBA tanks in lazarette
- Boat theater system: In mid stateroom a 50 inch screen that pulls down in front of head sliding door with 720p projector at head of the bed on shelf with 5.1 Denon surround sound system (Orb shielded speakers, and 12 inch subwoofer). While reclining on the bed the viewing angle and distance are superb with great accoustics tuned just for this space. Also Denon is dual zone that powers two Orb speakers in pilot house 26 inch LCD screen secured on port salon shelf with enough room in front of TV for using the attached Wii game system
- HMC system 4 pillow top matress in mid stateroom
- Solaire Infrared BBQ
- Spectra line in winches and boom mounted line controls and extra boom connection points to make it easier to raise and lower dinghy
- 90% mesh window covers and snaps on all windows, gray canvas hatch covers for the 3 hatches
- Two dock boxes mounted on boat deck for storaged, included one vented box for gasoline storage
- Weaver removable swivel chocks for mounting the dinghy